“The artist is the creator of beautiful things.”
— Oscar Wilde

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Love at First Sight! (Such a big lie!!)


While I was reading the chapter that includes the opinions of Dorian Gray about Sibyl Vane, I felt that "love at first sight" will never exist. Dorian Gray really exaggerates his emotions about Sibyl Vane and this causes me to feel unwell. I will explain why, but at first I want to talk about Sibyl Vane, her first influence on Dorian Gray and reasons of that, on my side.


Mr. Gray starts to believe that "the search for beauty being the real secret of life" because of the influences of Lord Henry on himself. And then Mr. Gray tries to find the real beauty.


Dorian goes in an absurd theater by coincidence, and there is the play "Romeo & Juliet". Look at that chance! And also there is a dreadful orchestra, even Romeo is terrible. But let me give you an example from Dorian about Juliet:


"But Juliet! Harry, imagine a girl, hardly seventeen years of age, with a little flower-like face, a small Greek head with plaited coils of dark-brown hair, eyes that were violet wells of passion, lips that were like the petals of a rose. She was the loveliest thing I had ever seen in my life" (p. 61)

Look at these adjectives and compliments! How boring they are! Basically, these compliments are not for Sibyl Vane, these are for beauty that is searched by Mr. Gray, these are for Juliet, for Sibyl Imogen not for real Sibyl. Even Dorian Gray and Lord Henry express that, when Lord Henry asks that "When is she Sibyl Vane?", Mr. Gray replies: "Never!" (p.66).


He describes her as sacred and the finest actress he has ever seen. But I believe that this is because of the several trips to the theater, and the obsessions of Mr. Gray to find the real beauty not the real love or real woman that lives for him for years.

As a conclusion, I can say that I describe the future relationship between Dorian Gray and the Sibyl Vane will be the most dreadful relationship on my side. For a footnote, I will never believe the love at first sight, and I will never trust the existence of the trustworthy compliments without emotions and with obsessions .

3 comments:

  1. What an attractive subject! I couldn't agree with you more. It is impossible for me to agree more, because I already agree 100%. I like your point of view. -Maybe- once upon a time, there was something "love at first sight" but I'm sure it is dead. I always hear, “when I first looked at his face, I knew that I have found my real love". After a while, I hear, "I cannot remember why I thought that he was my real love." I think "love at first sight" is just a dramatic example in love stories. That's it! Yikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I want to talk about Sibyl Vane. She shouldn't be very beautiful like in Dorian Gray's adjectives and compliments. Beauty. The subject Oscar Wilde don't get bored to repeat. Perhaps, there can be love at first sight. Even there are many statistics. You cannot believe that and thanks for describing that relationship and post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if she is a beautiful, if someone search for his/her love. they put their imaginary characteristics to their lovers but the real is not. when your desire is going to decrease to them you will begin to see the real. It can be at the first sight because they are not real( not all of them. Thank you betigül, good subject.:D

    ReplyDelete